Friday, September 26, 2008

Equipment Guide: Supercook.com

Hey everyone! Welcome to the first installment of "Equipment Guide" where I'll be talking about appliances and resources that have made feeding myself easier.


I found Supercook.com through another blog I read called The Simple Dollar. Trent, the blogger over there, recommended it as a way to save money. However, I use it as a way to be lazy!

Here's how it works:

First, you tell Supercook all the ingredients you have in the house. Then, it searches online recipe databases for recipes that you can make using only what you have at home. It will also make suggestions if you only need 1 or 2 more ingredients. For instance, if you were trying to make yesterday's salmon recipe and you put in salmon, olive oil, parsley, and basil, it would tell you that all you needed to buy was lemon juice to finish the recipe (Supercook assumes you have salt, pepper, water, and sugar laying around).

Since the program eliminated all recipes that you lack ingredients for, you're guaranteed to be able to cook dinner without going to the grocery store. In fact, sometimes I use the suggestions as a shopping list, knowing that I only need to buy corn starch or Italian dressing to cook dinner, rather than buying a whole new meal.

Cost: Free!

No comments: